About This File
PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS & DEATHS.
- Every Birth/Still birth and Death is to be reported and registered within 21 days at the place of its occurrence in the prescribed reporting formats.
- All type of birth/death reporting forms are made available free of cost to Hospitals, PHCs, PHSCs and other institutions by the office of Chief Registrar (B&D), Govt. of Sikkim, Gangtok. In case of institutional births/deaths and to individuals in case of domiciliary births/deaths by the Registrar of the registration centre is their respective area.
PERSONS REQUIRED TO REGISTER BIRTHS, STILL BIRTHS AND DEATHS
- Birth, Still Birth or Death in a house. Head of the house or nearest relative of the head of the house or oldest person in the family in duly filled in birth/medical certification of cause of death reporting form No.1, 2,3 & 4A respectively.
- Birth, Still Birth or Death
Outside the house :
- In a hospital, Health Centre, Medical Officer In
- Maternity Home and Nursing charge or any other
- Home or other like institutions officer authorized by him in duly filled in birth/death/stillbirth and medical certification of cause of Death reporting forms No. 1,2,3, & 4 respectively as the case may be.
- ( In a Jail Jail In-charge.)
- In a choultry, chattram hostel,
- Dharamsala, boarding house, Person Incharge.
- Lodging house, etc.
- In a moving vehicle Person Incharge of the vehicle
- Found deserted in a public place Headman of the village/Incharge of the local Police station.
TO WHOM TO APPROACH FOR REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS & DEATHS IN SIKKIM.
- Details of Registrars with phone numbers, name of towns, revenue block contact persons and telephone numbers is given in No. 7.
- The 32 Registration Centres covers all Rural, Urban Areas of Sikkim and they issue the Births & Deaths certificate also.
DELAYED REGISTRATION IS DONE IN ALL 32 CENTRES AS:-
- Any Birth or Death or which information is given to the Registrar after expiry of the specified period of 21 days, but within 30 days of its occurance, shall be registered on payment of Rs.5/- as late fee.
- The events for which information is given to the Registrar after 30 days but within one year of its occurance, shall be registered only with the written permission of the Registrar on payment of Rs.5/-.
- The events which have not been registered within one year of occurance, shall be registered on an order made by the Area Magistrate i.e. SDM on payment of Rs.10/- as late fee.
ENTRY OF THE NAME OF THE CHILD IN BIRTH RECORD.
In case the registration of the birth has been done without name of the child, the name can be entered free of cost within one year either orally, or in writing. After one year but within a period of 15 years name can be entered on payment of Rs.5/- as late fee.
IMPORTANT FEATURES OF SIKKIM REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS AND DEATHS RULES, 1999
(Date of implementation 1.1.2000)
Item Position in Sikkim Registration Of Births & Deaths Rules,1999
A. Period for Registration : (Rule 5)
i) Birth 21 days
ii) Still birth 21 days
iii) Death 21 days
B. Late Registration: ( Rule 9)
i) Within 30 days (No permission is required) Rs. 5/-
ii) After 30 days but within one year (With the
Written permission of Registrar) Rs. 5/-
iii) Beyond one year (order by the Area Magistrate i.e. SDM . Rs.10/-
C. Entry of Name of the Child in Birth Record (Rule 10)
(a) Registration on or after 1.1.2000
(i) Within 12 months from the date of registration Nil
(ii) After 12 months but within a period of 15 years
From the date of registration Rs. 5/-
( Registration before 1.1.2000
(Eligible period is fifteen years, which will be reckoned w.e.f. 1/1/2000) Rs. 5/-
D. Fee structure for issue of birth /death certificate (Rule 13)
(i) Search for a single entry of birth or death in the 1st year
For which search is made Rs. 5/-
(ii) For every additional year for which the search Is continued Rs. 5/-
(iii) For granting extract relating to each birth Or death ie issue of certificate Rs. 5/-
(iv) For granting certificate of non-registration Of Birth or Death event Rs. 5/-